Sunday, July 4, 2010

4 Things I Love About America

Today is, as I surely hope you realize, the 4th of July and the anniversary of America's independence. Today's blog (which I intended to write by yesterday, but alas, since I am not getting paid to do this my deadlines are far less strict) is dedicated to a list of some of the things I love about this nation. It is not everything, and probably not even all of the best things. It is simply a sampling of things that I find wonderful about the U.S.A.

  • Its origins: A group of bold and intelligent people, who would "recognize no Sovereign but God and no King but Jesus" (John Adams & John Hancock), seized America from the Crown of England and brought the shaky, dubious new nation to a solid and prosperous existence, as "one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all."
  • The freedom to be Christian: Knowing a little bit about the oppression and persecution of Christians in other nations, I realize we Americans are blessed. We take it for granted, of course, and lack the fervent focus, worship, and evangelism of the people who know a real fear of persecution, but we are blessed all the same.
  • Freedom of expression and of conscience: This one's a bit obvious, especially for we blogger-types. I do so enjoy the right to speak and publish what I please, and the related right to believe what I please, and that I may not be forced to express a thing I do not believe or to silence the things that I do believe. Even when people attempt to lawlessly squelch these rights, our country on the whole has a far better record of freedom of speech than any other nation I know.
  • That we still have time to turn around our current path to disaster: Oh yeah, I'm going there. Our country has been blessed profusely from its inception. In recent decades, we the people have done much to screw this up. We - as a country - have shunned God, and in doing so have shunned the foundation of America. We allow for violations of the right to free speech, so long as the suppressed speech does not agree with what we believe. We allow for violations of the Constitution...ah, but for the fourth of July, I'll save the fireworks for the sky instead of for this blog post.
Happy Independence Day to you and yours!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree ! Freedom is when citizens are still able to voice an opinion that is quite contrary to the powers that be,...without fear of reprisal. The freedom and capability to change the powers that be is even more important. Looking forward to "Positive Change" this November....