Saturday, June 12, 2010

"Reasonable" Christians

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." --Romans 12:2 (NKJV)

I have returned from Youth Camp, where I was a counselor for the Junior Highers, and I have much to say in the wake of its effects. Fortunately, I will be able to translate that into blog post after blog post for some time (I hope and pray), and I will do so unapologetically. I begin this pseudo-series with some thoughts on the idea of being a "reasonable" Christian, according to members of the world.

I have been called a "reasonable Christian" and similar things by a few atheists whom I know, and I took these things as compliments, if dubious ones. I think that it is not a good thing after all, because what is a "reasonable Christian," to an atheist? It is one who keeps his or her faith relatively private, who seems to condemn little sin, who sins without repenting, who does not quote the Bible, and who seems to be as much a part of the world as the world itself.

We are not supposed to be of this world. We are supposed to be Satan's worst enemies, this side of Heaven. We are not to sin nor approve of sin. "No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier." (2 Timothy 2:4, NKJV) And yet, we fraternize with the enemy, give secular advice, do not fall back on prayer, compare ourselves to the ideals of our friends rather than the Ideal who is Christ, and hide our faith and our opinions. We worry about the "persecution" that takes the form of scoffs and mockery. We want the world to find us "reasonable," when the only reasonable thing is to follow Christ alone and to ignore the world's opinions. We are a gaggle of fools.

P.S. To my atheist, lapsed, agnostic, and differently religious readers, I do realize I have you, probably wondering when my blog turned so preachy. Believe me, there is much to be gained from these writings for you, as well.

P.P.S. I do hope you folks read the context of the verses I have mentioned, on your own. www.biblegateway.com is a good place for this, especially if you do not have your own Bible.

No comments: