Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Math Project Beginnings

So, having joined a completely optional, extra-curricular math research seminar at my University, with the intention of doing a major research project in the coming Spring semester, I have to come up with a topic. Originally, I was looking at something related to the Collatz conjecture, but I've since decided that if I'm going to spend valuable time on something like this, it should be more worthwhile than number theory. I realize that George Boole's number theory work eventually became fundamentally important to computers, but not everyone is that fortunate.

So, I'm looking for something in one of the following areas:
  • -space/space technology (since it could potentially be helpful to my science fiction writings)
  • -audio/sound (since I find it absurdly interesting)
  • -hoverboards/efficiently powered gravity-defiance (since hello, it's hoverboards)
I have asked the guy who more or less teaches the seminar to help direct me to something interesting. If I remember (and I hope I do), I'll continue to report back here once I've got something going on. Not too many details, though--I don't need Internetters stealing my project!

I have a couple of blog topics floating about in my head, so expect more of my long, thought-out-ahead-of-time writings before the end of the month.

No comments: